Thursday, September 10, 2009

Throwing darts at the bullseye

My dad's always told me, "Heather, the more darts you thow at the dartboard, the higher your chances of hitting the bullseye." This addage certainly applies to my job search approach. I feel as though I've filled out a million applicaions (ok, maybe only 75ish, but that's still a LOT), yet I am still searching.

I've learned one thing: internet job searches/applications are certainly not for me. It's almost like you submit your information and it disappears into webspace oblivion, never to be found or heard from again. The responses I have received all want me to "find out my credit score and email it to [insert company name here]." Perhaps this is legit, but in an age of rampant identity theft, something about sending confidential information to a person whom I've never spoken to makes me VERY nervous.

Tired of the internet search futility, I ventured out into the sunshine and visited the Army's Employment office today. There were several job postings online that I decided to submit applications for, and a face-to-face application delivery is always better than a faceless envelope in the mail. Resume in hand, I walked through the office door, and was almost immediately informed that I was not "qualified" to apply for the jobs I was interested in -- essentially because I am not married to an Armed Forces Member, and therefore, cannot claim Spousal Preference. Even though I have my Bachelor's Degree, I have been relegated to the NAF (Nonappropriated Funds) category of applicants. In essence, an "Mrs." trumps a BS.

Even a BS from Wake Forest! (hah)

The search continues, but I refuse to get married just to placate the Army and their desire to have everyone "figured out".

No comments:

Post a Comment