Sunday, January 30, 2011

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all

"You know, I miss the old days when Facebook was just a means of catching up with friends, and not another platform for promoting your political and ethical views..."

I posted that sentiment on my FB wall the other day, after reading post after post asserting that all Christians hate gays, and that if you don't think Obama is the best president our nation has seen, then you're ignorant.

While I fully support the right to free speech, I have grown tired of the 'all or nothing', 'my way or the highway', 'if I talk about it enough, and shove my views down your throat repeatedly, then you'll adopt them, too' undertone of the social networking world.

As long as your sentiments play to the politically correct audience, few people dare to disagree with you in a public forum, for fear of being mislabeled and chastised as closed-minded, discriminatory, or anti-(insert appropriate acronym here).

I am tired of worrying that if I speak my mind, people will "defriend" me.  If you cannot accept the differences between your opinions and mine, then we shouldn't be friends in the first place.  After all, while I may disagree with your views, I will always respect your right to hold these views! 

The most important thing missing from social networks is RESPECT.  Where has the respect gone?  Did it disappear with the ease of a keystroke and the click of a 'submit' button?  Did it disappear with the accountability that comes with owning your words and their impact as you speak to someone face-to-face?

Generalizations affect many special-interest social groups, and they are quick to spew defensive rhetoric without noticing that they are committing the exact offense to which they have taken such offense.  STOP.  Hold yourself accountable for what you say, and for what you type.  Don't assume that religiously conservative or moderate individuals are condemning you to hell.  Don't assume that an attempt at intelligent dialogue and discussion is an attack on your personal views.

While I may only be one person, with one insignificant blog, I have made the decision to hold myself accountable for the things I post online, and to consider the impact of my words.  Can you do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment